Work is now underway on restoring a historic well in Shaw Park, Holywell Green, thanks to a £1,000 donation from Solvay Halifax.
The Solvay site’s history is intertwined with Shaw Park, as it occupies land and buildings formerly used as a mill by the Shaw family, and shares much of its boundary with the park today.
Shaw Park was given to the community in 1955 by mill owners’ descendent Raymond Shaw, and it has been in public ownership ever since. The Shaw Park Restoration Group was set up in 2010 to try and restore it to its former glory, and fundraising continues in earnest today.
Solvay Halifax donated several pallets of stone toppings to aid restoration of the well, along with a donation towards the works which will include a new wrought iron gate for the tunnel entrance.